Did you know your body does the best job of releasing toxins while sweating at rest?
The sauna is a great way to make use of the excretory organs of the skin to sweat out toxins. In a sauna, your surface body temperature raises to the ambient temperature of the sauna, which causes you to sweat while maintaining a normal core body temperature of 98.6 °F.
Whats the difference between Swedish(Traditional) Sauna and Infrared Sauna?
Swedish Sauna has a temperature range between 160 °F and 200 °F. Do not spend more than 20 minutes in Swedish Sauna or you can overheat due to your core body temperature rising.
Infrared (IR) Sauna has a lower external temperature between 110 ° and 130 °. A heat element that radiates IR spectrum heat, which is thought to penetrate your skin and thus provides more thorough detoxification. Due to this lower temperate, you can stay in longer without overheating. I usually start to sweat past the 40 minute mark.
Benefits include: detoxification, muscle and joint pain relief, helps increase circulation, reduce inflammation, lowers blood pressure, weight loss, skin purification.
Where to find a Sauna?
- Infrared Sauna:
- NAO Wellness in West Village, Manhattan. 30 min – $45 w/friend $60. 60 min- $65 w/ friend $80. Also has membership pricing and package deals.
- Gravity East Village in East Village, Manhattan. Couples package-$20 per person for 1 hour or $25 for single
- Cleansing Concepts in Brooklyn and Long Island. Package deals offered $25 per session
- Aura Wellness Spa in Koreatown, Manhattan. $50 for 2 hours. You have access to the infrared sauna, a steam room & ice room with other people. This is more of a Spa experience & good for couples.
- Saunas are more common than infrared saunas. Many gyms, hotels and luxury buildings in Manhattan have access to a sauna. I personally have used Equinox at the Columbus Circle & Lexington 63rd Street Locations.
For more, check out my Instagram @dshamptonorganics
Jeffrey A. Morrison, M.D., 2011. Cleanse You Body, Clear Your Mind, New York, New York, The Penguin Group